WHY I MISS BEING STUDENT-ATHLETE
I had played on the Minnesota tennis team for three and a half years. I loved it, I hated it. But I miss it now. Here's why:
- •No Christmas in SeptemberOne of the greatest things when you come to campus after a wild summer and get all the new sweats and shirts. Are we in heaven?
- •No free dinnersWhere are the mandatory team dinners with coaches?
- •No teamThe closest people you have, you've been with then for so long, they know everything and now they are gone. You're on your own..How does this happen?!
- •No competitionYou are used to working hard, all you know is how to win. But you don't play competitively anymore. You now think about competing against your roommate in a game called "Who can watch more episodes on Netflix?"
- •No free massageSoreness after a long weekend? No problem, call your athletic trainer and all is set. Wait. Never mind, you can't anymore.
- •No cool sporting awardsAlways a resume booster, you feel so powerful with these awards. But I don't think they give out awards for not doing the dishes, do they?
- •No excuses for missing classesWhere are my travel letters now?!
- •No structurePractice, food, school, food, practice, homework, food, sleep. That's how it worked. Now? Food, food, sleep, maybe homework, Netflix, sleep...