Reasons Opening Day Makes ME Happy
- •Despite working at ESPN, I never really had a baseball team until I met my wife, Jenny, who quickly converted me into a Red Sox fan. It was one of the first things I loved about her.
- •And it fit: Carl Yastrzemski, one of Boston's (and baseball's) all-time greats lived in the same dorm at Notre Dame that I did decades later.
- •Jenny and I got engaged in Boston and were at Fenway for a game within the hour.
- •We walked into our wedding reception to "Sweet Caroline," a staple at Fenway.
- •Our dog, Buckner, is named after a former Red Sox player. Those who know Red Sox or even just baseball history will know this was an … odd choice. But it fits us and her perfectly.
- •Our son, Henry, was born about two weeks after they won the World Series in 2013.
- •When our daughter was born two months ago today, we named her Caroline—not because of the song, but it didn't hurt.
- •The Red Sox are a thread that runs through our entire life together. They're often not in the foreground, especially now that we have two kids under three, but they're always there.
- •Now they're about to be the soundtrack to another summer in our house. Whether this season turns out great or awful, I love that.
- •So happy Opening Day, and of course:
- •Go Sox