THE TIME I ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT A FAKE PLANT
- •It was at Crate & Barrel, which, in retrospect, should have been my first clue.
- •I carried it home in a bag, careful to keep it upright.
- •I put it with my other plants and showed my friends new plant.
- •Everyone agreed it was a good plant.
- •And so hardy, even for a succulent! I'd had it for a month, and it still looked great. I went to check the soil, thinking it must have dried out by then.
- •The soil was suddenly very obviously painted concrete.
- •The plant was suddenly very obviously plastic.
- •This is the plant.