HIGHLIGHT FROM MY TIME AS A BOOKSELLER
My first job in NYC was at Book Culture at 112th St.
- •Like most bookstores, we had a wall featuring all the employees staff picks.
- •Almost everyone has novels or collections of poetry.
- •I had the hardest time picking a staff pick.I felt that whatever I end up picking was a direct reflection of me, and I was nervous! I'm letting strangers into my soul.
- •I finally decided I should pick something theater based since it's a subject I love.
- •I chose the collection of Annie Baker's plays "The Vermont Plays"She's my all time favorite playwright.
- •One night, a young woman and 2 little girls come into the store.The woman looks familiar but at this point I assume she's a regular customer.
- •They stop at the staff pick wall and start taking photos in front of it.I can see my staff pick is in their shot but I can't tell why they're taking the photos.
- •Eventually they come to the register and purchase some books.The whole time I'm trying to figure out why this woman looks familiar and why they were taking pics.
- •As they leave, I finally put the pieces together and realize that it's ANNIE BAKER!!THEY WERE TAKING PHOTOS BECAUSE MY STAFF PICK WAS HER WORK!!!
- •I immediately regret not asking what the photos were for and engaged with them.I kick myself all week long.
- •Then I find out she's doing a book signing at the Drama Bookshop the next week.
- •I go and finally get the chance to tell her that it was my staff pick at the bookstore.
- •She then signs my book:
- •And thus my greatest moment as a bookseller. 😊