Top 5 iOS games to play on an airplane (or without Internet)
There are plenty of mobile games out there to play when you're on the grid, but when you're not, your options are more limited. They may not be free, but they're all relatively cheap and all on my phone. Here are my personal Top 5 in no particular order
- 1.Lost CitiesBy the renowned German game master Reiner Knizia, this simple game of turn management using colored, numbered cards you'll find easy to learn, but provide quite the challenge. Based on the 2 player tabletop version, it can be played against the AI offline or against online friends when you're connected.
- 2.Pinball ArcadeIf you're a pinball nerd like I am, this is for you. As of this writing, they have over 70 REAL pinball tables adapted for digital play. The physics engine is basically perfect and you'll see dozens of titles you'll remember from your days at the arcade.
- 3.Ticket to RideOne of the more classic & beloved board games from Days of Wonder has a great digital adaptation. You are trying to build the longest railroad line between particular cities. For 2-5 players against the AI, online, local network, or pass and play gives you lots of options.
- 4.Robot MasterAnother Knizia tabletop adaptation, this simple game using a 5x5 grid with cards labeled 0-5 will challenge you to find the way to make sure you score high enough while sticking your opponent with the lowest score possible. Can be played against the AI or with a friend in handoff mode.
- 5.Ascension: Chronicle of the GodslayerNot quite as brutal as it might sound, Ascension is a deck building tabletop game by Stoneblade Entertainment in the same vein as Dominion. The AI has multiple modes and they hav e lots of expansions with more coming out all the time. You can pick the exact sets you want to play with, and this one can be played solo, handoff, or online with 2-4 players.