Shows I Stopped Watching B/c I'm Trying Not to Reward Rape Culture
Sexual assault as a plot device or motivation is lazy writing and misogynistic. This will be spoilery.
- •ScandalSrsly, @shondarhimes? Just as I was gearing up for #TeamMillie, rape flashback! Can't a woman just be strong and kinda brittle without being driven by being assaulted?
- •Private PracticeAgain, Shondaland. The episode featuring Nicholas Brendan was unnecessarily brutal. And now Brendan's life is imitating art so blergh.
- •FortitudeThe Sky series was highly watchable, but you could just tell one character's rape would have to be the downfall of another. They took their sweet time getting there tho. I watched most of it before --boo!-- rape time!
- •Bates MotelCouldn't even get through episode 1 because, predictably, Norman couldn't just be psycho and his mom couldn't just be turrrible. Rape.
- •Game of ThronesGot to this party late but the pending brutalization of women was obvious. Way over the top and unnecessary. But truth? I quit, winter does come, I start up again, they find some new way to hate on women, and I quit again. Fair weather feminism.
- •Walking DeadBlargh. So many attempted rapes. I give this one a pass, though, because I love it so much. And I'm pretty sure failing to teach men not to rape now will result in a very sexual assault-filled apocalypse.