How I Met My (Icelandic) Boyfriend
As requested by @quixotic
- •Last summer I went on my second study abroad trip with my school. Destinations included Toronto for a conference @ Ryerson University, Amsterdam (because why not) and Iceland.
- •In Toronto we had a curmudgeon cab driver that wasn't a fan of having to drive a bus full of American girls to a hotel to meet up with the rest of our group.In retrospect one of the few men we had on our trip should have been in the van with us.
- •In Amsterdam we rode the rails to Centraal Station to get to the heart of the city and do touristy things/local things.Yes, we went to the Anne Frank House & I sobbed.
- •In Iceland we took the Golden Circle tour because it was included in our trip and it was INCREDIBLE, even if it is a tourist trap.
- •But I digress,
- •On the first or second night we were there I decided to pull up Tinder just to see how the men of Iceland stack up to Midwestern men (there's a major difference) and I matched with a few guys but I was not expecting anything. Especially because I was there to see the country, not have a random hookup in another country.
- •Then I got a message from a local curious as to why he got matched up with an American girl that lives 4,000 miles away but happens to be about 10 miles away.
- •So we started talking and kept talking. Almost everyone in my group went out that night to go drink and hangout with people. I went for awhile and then I got bored so I went back to my apartment to leach the wifi and keep talking to this mysterious person.
- •The next day we were supposed to go to The Blue Lagoon and the swim (I suppose that's what you do there), but once we checked into the hotel I stayed behind to keep talking.
- •Unfortunately on that trip I didn't get to meet my now boyfriend due to time and transportation constraints he and I continued the conversation and we haven't really stopped since.
- •Last December after almost 6 months of talking we finally decided to meet and I went to Iceland again for a week during my winter vacation.This is us before our first date on Jan. 1, 2016. Talk about a great way to start off a new year. ☺️
- •It was the the fastest and most exciting week of my life.
- •this coming November he will be coming to meet my family and friends for Thanksgiving.
- •This week we are also closing in on 9 months and within two weeks we'll be together again after 5 months of not seeing each other.