Things I've Said to Clients This Week
Some CYA, some (necessarily but shamefully) passive aggressive. All with deep breaths.
- •"No problem. I'll re-forward that information."Read: I will search my Outlook so you don't have to, and you'll have fresh proof that I'm not the one who dropped the ball.
- •"I agree. I wish it were a little more polished, too. Next time we'll see if I can be of help to you earlier in the process."Read: There's only so much I can do when you miss your deadlines.
- •"I'm happy to explore that approach. It doesn't address the issues I was describing, but it sounds like our concern level for those risks is not the same."Read: Okay but this shit's on you.
- •"I hear ya. I didn't get to eat yet either."Read: We have been together all day, and I'm as tired and hungry as you, PLUS I have to listen to you mention it every few minutes.
- •"Great. It sounds like we are all back on the same page."Read: Bitch, you shot me down three minutes ago when I had that same idea.
- •"Unfortunately, I don't think that's something that would work."Read: I refuse to ask the manager of the neighboring building to postpone construction because it seems loud during your meeting.
- •"Hold on, just let me finish my sentence."Oops. Guess I lost my patience after all.