Most Likely... (High School Edition)
My high school didn't vote on who was "most likely" to ... This would be things I would have been voted most likely to in High School.
- •To never attend the first periodPeople were genuinely surprised to learn that I didn't have a first period spare. They were even more surprised when they found out that I was in their class.
- •To never return from lunch periodI remember driving around looking for Prince's house. It was majestic. I also remember a quest to find really good Mexican food. I honestly don't know how I graduated.
- •To have teachers underestimate meI had a teacher that refused to teach to me. We had a candid conversation at the end of the year. He thought because of who I hung out with I was not worth the energy. I told him I didn't need his energy. I passed Finite Math in spite of that asshole.
- •Not to belongDefinitely not smart enough for the smart kids but not drugged up enough for the druggies. I floated between the two groups based on mood and how much expectation from each group had of me in terms of my participation in their worlds.
- •To confuse apathy with stupidityI couldn't understand why people didn't care about the same things I did.
- •To look to the Beastie Boys for moral guidanceThe Tibetan Freedom concerts were a huge deal to me
- •To question why we were only taught "practical" skills.They stripped us of arts programs. I wouldn't mind learning electrical but I had too many other questions, like why weren't we learning Shakespeare? Why weren't we talking more about Rwanda? Why were not expected to understand this? Why weren't we given a chance to learn more?
- •Not to attend the graduation ceremonyI didn't want to attend. I had planned to sit in the audience to support my classmates. I was peer pressured to walking across the stage and accepting my diploma from some local politician. I decided I wouldn't subject myself to similarly meaningless exercise (completely a personal opinion on graduation ceremonies based on how the years that precedes that moment) at university.
- •To subsist on a diet of french fries and mayo
- •To wear a lot of blackThis resulted in an intervention by friends who claimed I had too many black turtleneck. I conceded this fact when I dressed up as a beatnik for Halloween and people didn't realize I was in costume