I Don't Care About Your Privilege. Check Your Bias.
Just my recent thoughts. This is completely my own opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree but no hostility please.
- •In the wake of another week of ridiculous violence, my Facebook wall has been full of people talking about Black Lives Matter and "privilege".
- •While I understand the idea of privilege, I think it's the wrong conversation to be having.
- •Everyone in the U.S. had some type of privilege. Straight privilege, white privilege, male privilege, upper class privilege, light skinned black person privilege, and I can go on and on.
- •At the end of the day, you live in a free country. Sure, it's not perfect but there are many places where it is much, much worse.
- •How about we start a conversation about biases?
- •Maybe because people are far more reluctant to admit that they might have biases.
- •But newsflash. You do. We all do, whether you want to admit it or not.
- •But recognizing those biases can help.
- •It helps you to realize that you view certain things through a certain lens, and your biases might be clouding your views or judgement.
- •When we learn to put those biases aside, we learn to look at things objectively.
- •I feel when people begin to recognize and acknowledge their biases, this will bring us all closer to a mutual understanding as a part of mankind as a whole.