Five animals that make me want a reef tank.
I'm planning on getting into saltwater fish keeping with the eventual goal of having a mini reef. These are the top five animals that make me want a reef tank.
- •Tridacna clams: These are just too pretty. Not for beginners, they do well when kept similarly to SPS corals but they need even more calcium.
- •Mandarin fish: This is my favorite fish. All of my tank stocking choices will be made on the basis of being safe with mandarins. This is another bad choice for beginners.
- •Bird's nest coral: There's just something about the brilliant pink color and crazy branches that screams coral reef to me.
- •Favites coral: These corals are highly variable in color, so you can have a few different ones in a tank for variety.
- •Banggai cardinal fish: Not the flashiest marine fish, but I find the jet black markings on the crisp white beautiful. These fish mouth brood their young, so tank raised ones are easy to find.
- •Honorable Mention: Frogspawn coral: This adds a lot of motion and weirdness to a tank. I love it but could live without it in my tank.