Things I've smelt since January
In which I find a narrow outlet for my heightening frustrations
- 1.Man sitting on my doorstep smoking a cigaretteImpervious to requests to move on. A real stonker of a ciggie. Brand unknown. Smelt it well before I saw it
- 2.Man smoking in toilet stall next to meThe perfect complement to a loud, grunty Sichuan stool. In the office toilet. At 9 in the morning. Likely brand: panda
- 3.Three men smoking in the hotel elevatorRed faced and extremely loud. Shitfaced. Beijing bikinis. 3pm. We're definitely in Shandong. Brand known: Chung hwa
- 4.Man smoking pushing me out of the way at airport check in deskSuper keen to check in. Not taking shit from anyone!
- 5.Taxi driver chain-smoking dark blue-filtered cigsTight space, windows up, full steam. A fitting night cap to the day's travel.
- 6.Man near Changshu Rd subway, 10 cigs at onceYou hear the wracking cough before you even smell the cigs. He's not well.