10 BOOKS THAT CHANGED MY LIFE
In no particular order...
- •Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. RowlingI was gifted this book when I was 18 and it reintroduced me to the joy of reading.
- •The River Why by David James DuncanAddresses some of life's big questions in a humorous and elegant way. The movie version was awful...
- •The Prince by Niccolo MachiavelliMachiavelli understood human nature and politics incredibly well; there are plenty of lessons found therein that we can apply in our lives today.
- •Selected Writings of Karl MarxRead this in a college philosophy class and it made me think deeply about the impact economics has on our lives, particularly the role of labor.
- •Atlas Shrugged by Ayn RandRand is the opposite extreme of Marx but both authors challenged many of my previously-held assumptions about right and wrong in modern society.
- •The BibleStudied it in college and I continue to read the Gospels, psalms, and Paul's letters for guidance.
- •What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond CarverCarver's short stories are masterful and few if any writers match his skill at dialogue and rapid character development.
- •Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan DoyleHolmes' mind works so much differently than my own that seeing him reach conclusions helped me identify areas of my own critical thinking that were flawed.
- •Unbroken by Laura HillenbrandMade me reconsider what the human heart is capable of in terms of enduring adversity and the beauty that lies in our capacity to return good for evil and forgive those who've harmed us.
- •The Autobiography of Benjamin FranklinFranklin sought to master himself and had huge ambition. The book inspired me to never stop learning and improving my mind.