REAL TIME COMMENTARY: SURF WAX AMERICA (WEEZER)
Requested by @Nicholas
- •The sea is foaming like a bottle of beerSort of a dumb lyric. I think this song is the total lost gem of this album, though...a big fun pop anthem set between the super popular, super dour 'undone-the sweater song' which I never really liked and the slightly less dour pop anthem 'say it ain't so'
- •You take your car to work I'll take my boardThinking about songs nicely compliment the activities they're about. There are lots of songs about making love that I think I'd be too self conscious to play while doing the deed...like, I feel like if I started playing 'sexual healing' before getting to it the woman would roll her eyes real hard, and that's the number 2 thing I try to avoid while having sex. Number 1 is disease, number 3 is pregnancy. But yeah, this would be a fun song to listen to while surfing, that's the point
- •And when you're out of fuel I'm still afloatApple should make surfboards with MP3 players built into them, actually. Is that a thing?
- •The sea is rolling like a thousand pound kegI've heard this song 9 million times and just now it occurred to me it might be ironic. Is it? I'm afraid to find out.
- •All along the undertow is strengthening its holdWhen I was 20 I worked at this pizza place and one of my co-workers was this sweet 16 year old girl. One day she asked me if i was still single when I turned 30 if i wanted to marry her. I said she was cute and she said she was serious, that we'd live near the beach and go surfing everyday and have 3 kids. She ended up getting married to some air force dude like 2 years later and I feel like I shouldn't be telling this story.
- •Let's go!I looked it up, according to Wikipedia the song is sarcastic. Sigh.