- •Dave got dumped so we went for a drink someplace we'd never been, where old men with knobby hands and nothing to celebrate gathered before the sun went down.
- •The bar had an old metal door and inside, at the end of the bar, a zombie chained to the wall.
- •We'd never seen one in person, just in documentaries about the outbreak.
- •The regulars teased the zombie with chicken bones and snuffed cigarettes against its face.
- •The zombie moaned but didn't flinch.
- •Dave said, He looks like I feel.
- •Dave had dated Connie for three weeks.
- •Dave, I said, Grow up.