This Week in Social Media Platform Changes
- •Instagram rolls out a personalized video channel, "Videos You Might Like," and "Featured" channels filled with videos on specific topics.
- •Facebook algorithm change alert: For your link posts, Facebook will evaluate how long people are reading after clicking the link (no matter if it directs you to an Instant Article or a mobile web browser). The idea is that the newsfeed will surface posts that it thinks you will want to click on, and spend time reading.
- •Snapchat debuts "3D stickers" that you can pin to objects in a video. To use them, record a video, tap the sticker button at the top of the screen (for Android, soon on iOS), place the sticker over the moving object, and long-press on the sticker.
- •Periscope is testing “Sketching,” a feature that allows you to draw on top of live feeds. The doodles fade out after a few seconds.
- •Here’s a list of ways you can monetize on Facebook. Now: Branded content, take a cut of ad revenue Facebook earns from placing posts, Donate buttons on Pages, ads inside Instant Articles.Potentially in the near future: A "tip jar" where users can donate on individual posts, a "Call to action" button on posts, a "Sponsor marketplace" to match users and advertisers, Branded content/ads in "Suggested videos,” Pre-roll or mid-roll within Live videos.