MY COOL DAD, MARK GOLDBLATT
Allow me to brag about this rad man.
- •Childhood pal of Andy Kaufman.
- •In 1960 he saw Psycho, on Broadway, opening weekend, when nobody had a clue what it was about. Same year: saw The Apartment five times over the course of its first two weeks in release.
- •Said he'd leave the U.S. if Nixon got elected. Moved to London from 1970 - 1974.
- •During this time, smoked pot with Marianne Faithfull while she was quitting heroin cold-turkey.
- •Got in with the BFI Education Committee, went to a private screening of Douglas Sirk films with Sirk in attendance. Asked about some of Sirk's favorite films. Sirk says Dreyer's "Gertrude." Dad tracks down a print, sets up a private screening for Sirk. He hand carries the print through the streets of London because he can't afford a cab.
- •Was president of the Film Committee at University of Wisconsin. Brought Jean-Luc Godard to campus, picked him up from the airport and drove him around. Apparently dude was a real prick.
- •Drove out to Palm Springs with a couple friends to spend a day with elderly Howard Hawks in the mid 1970s. Hawks made Bloody Marys, recounted coaching Lauren Bacall on developing her trademark speaking voice, and went on about a Faulkner-penned vampire screenplay he was hopeful he might get made.
- •First legit film job was as a P.A. on a Roger Corman produced film called Hollywood Boulevard. He also cameo'ed in the film as a "Filipino Rapist."
- •Went on to edit some amazing movies. Among them: Piranha, The Howling, The Terminator, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Commando, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, Detroit Rock City, Bad Boys 2, Rise of The Planet of The Apes, Chappie.
- •Over the years, has actively pursued getting Film Editor credits for his Assistant Editors, to help them movie on to their own respective careers.
- •Directed two cult-classics: Dead Heat, and The Punisher (1989, starring Dolph Lundgren), and was second unit director on Robocop.
- •Showed me Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill when I was way too young. Got me into the Velvet Underground when I was in like 4th grade.
- •Has been to more Nick Cave shows than I have.
- •Is interviewed in the latest issue of Fangoria, with IT FOLLOWS on the cover.
- •Once asked me if I was a guest at my parents' wedding.
- •Is much loved by me.