ROLES I DID NOT GET WHEN I WAS A CHILD ACTOR
I had a short n' sweet alternate reality as a precocious imp. Here are the ones that got away. Those which I can remember...
- •Max Fischer in RushmoreThis was the big one, back when Harvey Keitel was supposed to play the Bill Murray role. I got a callback, and read for Wes Anderson. He wasn't particularly enthused by me. I was stoked for my schoolmate Jason when he got the part, but was also insanely jealous. Went with a big group to cheer him on when it opened.
- •Neal on Freaks and GeeksLoved the script for the pilot. Had worked with Feig and Apatow. Thought I was a shoe in. Did not get a callback. To this day I don't love the show as much as it seems the rest of the world does. Because I wasn't in it.
- •Pacey on Dawson's CreekI know. I know. My only explanation is I guess they were looking at a broad range of kids for those roles, before narrowing in on a slightly older, and significantly hotter gang. I know. Watched that trash religiously for a season or so. I would've classed up the material, I just know it.
- •Young Jason Patric in SleepersI read the novel to prepare. Unfortunately, I have never looked Italian or Jason Patric-esque. Was ok not getting this, as I did not want to be diddled by Kevin Bacon.
- •The part Jay Baruchel played in Almost FamousI bet @miggles36 and I would've met years sooner. But I fucked that one up. No callback.
- •One of the kids ogling Cindy Crawford in that classic Pepsi commercial from 1992.Was genuinely convinced I'd book it, and she would become my girlfriend. I was nine years old.
- •The goddamn Free Willy kidThink about how different my life would be now if I had been the goddamn Free Willy kid.