THE MOST DELICIOUS THINGS I'VE RECENTLY EATEN IN NEW YORK
In other news, I've gained a little weight.
- •Baked ZitiThe perfect iteration of a dish I'd only previously eaten at Sbarro or via a microwave. Cooked to within an inch of its life. Crispy, gooey, melty. Come ON!
- •Breakfast Burrito -- field roast chorizo sausage, tofu scramble, bell peppers, vegan cheese, home fries and chipotle mayo in a whole wheat tortillaOne of the most flavorful BB's I've ever stuffed in my mouth hole. And vegan to boot! And this tiny lil counter in Greenpoint is downright CHARMING!
- •Cacio e PepeThe standard by which all others must be judged.
- •Cauliflower Steak & Siamese Green Curry w/ szechuan peppercorn tempura, kabocha squash & turnipsDidn't love everything I ate here and found the place somewhat overpriced, but this shit made my eyes roll back in their sockets.
- •Chickpea Soup -- cumin yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, chivesWith a glass of amaro. And the kitchen is open until midnight. And it's mere blocks away.
- •Khao Soi -- northern style golden curry with homemade egg noodles, shiitake mushroom, Swiss chard, pickled mustard greens and coconut milkThis was so potent, it rendered the Khao Soi at Night + Market Song as water in my mind's eye.
- •Love Fades Away; The Perfect Egg Sandwich Is Forever -- soft boiled egg, pickled radish, tender herbs, aioli, toasted sesame oil, baguetteBreakfast banh mi at an ice cream counter? Game officially changed.
- •Pizza PiePerfection, simplicity, disappears instantly.
- •Rice Crepe -- taro, mushroom, pickled carrots, toasted shallotsShoutout to @zoe for recommending this below-the-radar vegetarian Vietnamese spot in the East Village.
- •Sayonara Summer Tacos -- scrambled eggs, spicy mango salsa, tomatillo, avocado, cheddar, Dimes hot sauceOn Division Street. Not in the Netherlands like it says below.
- •Spicy Mung Bean Jello Salad and Spicy Cold Sesame NoodlesI needs my mouth all vibrating and numb from Szechuan peppercorn a few times a month.
- •Upside Down SliceThe pizza place around he corner from my editing room just happens to be way, way, way above average. I like this one, which comfortably rests somewhere between Sicilian and Chicago deep dish in vibe.
- •Vegan Chicharrónes Locos -- hot sauce, cashew crema, chamoy sauceSit at a stool in back, facing the micro-kitchen. Chef Gerardo Gonzales is a maniac of the highest order. LA people: he's doing a pop-up at SQIRL in May. Don't sleep on this.
- •Vegetarian Shoyu Ramen -- soy sauce + vegetable broth, enoki mushroom, roast tomato, rye noodlesRye noodles! Rye! Noodles! Rye noodles!