TOP 5 FAVORITE ALBUMS OF 2015
Small blurbs about the albums I listened to TOO MUCH this year.. I could go on for longer about them, but that doesn't fall within the parameters of this here app (thank god).
- 5.Carly Rae Jepsen - "E•MO•TION"I am not kidding. If the world would stop praising Tay Swift for like, 30 seconds they would realize that this was by far the best pop album of 2015. There's so much fucking joy in these songs, as well as a certain self awareness, a theme that runs in all of my favorite albums from the year. CRJ crafted a top to bottom guilty pleasure instant classic that shouldn't make you feel guilty. She embraces and perfects a contemporary take on the 1980s. Does that make sense? Do not sleep on this album.
- 4.Kendrick Lamar - "To Pimp A Butterfly"Realistically, this is the album of the year. It is timely, brilliant and dense. K Dot is consistently the best rapper, and part of that has to do with his awareness of who he is, in the genre he is in. Too many rappers, new and old school, often try too hard to emulate a sound or era, and fail to stand out as noteworthy, a problem Kendrick never has. His unique style and delivery stand head and shoulders above everyone else. Although maybe a tough listen, this album is just so fucking good.
- 3.Adele - "25"You know that thing where something is hyped up to ungodly heights, and then it actually lives up to expectations? Adele did better than that (see also: Star Wars). The follow up to "21" plays like a sequel in all the right ways. Her ability to craft and deliver emotional song after song without ever coming off as dull or repetitive is unmatched. The first time I heard "All I Ask" I just said "..NOPE," which is all I could muster after hearing such an impeccably written tune. GOOD LORD.
- 2.Elle King - "Love Stuff"This is the best "best new artist" we have seen in years. The songs on this album are kick ass, unapologetic and flat out rock n roll, but above all that, it's a compilation of GREAT songs. Elle King has an electric attitude that fuels her unbelievable musical talent(s). The tunes stretch across a few genres to create one cohesive masterpiece, with lyrics that are honest and raw, without ever falling into the "corny" category. Worth noting: this might have been the best concert I saw this year.
- 1.Kacey Musgraves - "Pageant Material"Remarkably clever, sonically beautiful and criminally underrated: "Pageant Material" is the best album of 2015. Kacey Musgraves is a brilliant songwriter and performer whose masterful subtlety and charm seems to go right over the heads of her target audience. She embodies the old school musical style and injects contemporary life into an often stale genre in an album that's equal parts critical irony and authentic love letter. Good for you, Kacey Musgraves.