WEIRD THINGS THAT PEOPLE DO AT THE COURTHOUSE
Observations made during my second summer as a law clerk for the DA's office.
- •Ask anyone wearing a suit for legal advice.My answer every time: "I can't give you legal advice." Fun fact: I probably don't even know the answer anyway because I'm completely faking that I even sort of know what's going on right now.
- •Show up for DUII diversion clearly hungover.And he or she will probably still get to enter diversion.
- •Bring their kids to their court hearing.Please don't do this.
- •Tell the judge that their name is spelled wrong on some document they were given - in hopes that that somehow negates the charges.It doesn't.
- •Just a lot of public crying, screaming, fighting.It's sad, but it's still weird and makes everyone uncomfortable.