FINAL FANTASY PROTAGONISTS, RANKED
Full disclosure: I haven't played FF V and VI, so their heroes are not on this list.
- •Vaan, Final Fantasy XIIVaan is so useless. I (probably irrationally) hate him so much, but maybe that's because I hate Final Fantasy XII. It's my least favorite game in the series, which I don't understand because I like the characters (apart from Vaan) a lot. I mean, Ashe, Penelo, Basch, Balthier, Fran, they're all great. Vaan just feels so extra.
- •The Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy III FourThey're lacking in personality and not at all memorable, so I've lumped them all together.
- •Firion, Final Fantasy IITo be honest it's been awhile since I played FF II, so I don't remember Firion much. I just remember thinking most of the other characters were more interesting.
- •Tidus, Final Fantasy XTidus could be kind of annoying, and like Vaan, all the other main characters are more interesting than him. But his storyline in the series puts him higher up on the list.
- •Cecil Harvey, Final Fantasy IVCecil is just a badass. That's all there is to it.
- •Squall Leonhart, Final Fantasy VIIII like that Squall is so broody and says whatever the hell he wants and is so pessimistic. To be honest he reminds me of myself only more awesome. He loses points for falling for Rinoa over Quistis though.
- •Yuna, Final Fantasy X-2Yuna was a better protagonist than Tidus, and I loved her interactions with Rikku and Paine. That being said, there's something about Yuna's voice that kind of annoys me sometimes. Only sometimes though.
- •Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IXZidane is such a ray of sunshine and is so fun. I loved that he was bright and shiny after two dark and twisty mains. He kind of reminds me of a monkey though because of his tail, which freaks me out because I don't like monkeys at all.
- •Serah Farron, Final Fantasy XIII-2Serah was such a badass. While everyone in FF XIII was either trained for battle and/or a l'Cie with a Focus, Serah had no such enhancements and traveled across time and dimensions to find her sister and try and save the world. Then she died, and I cried. Saddest FF death since Aerith in VII (though still not as sad as Zack's in Crisis Core).
- •Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIIILightning is beyond awesome, from her fighting skills to her attitude to her strength and resilience and loyalty and determination. Such a great character.
- •Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VIICloud is the best. Yeah, I liked Tifa and Aerith more than him, but FF VII just has so many great characters, so that's not really his fault. He's so brave and strong but also layered and conflicted. There's so much going on in his heart, and he's fighting against that and his mind and everything on the outside too. Basically he's got a lot on his plate and is just trying to do right by the people he loves and keep going for those he's lost (like Zack and Aerith) as well.
- •Zack Fair, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VIII love Zack, and his story is so fucking tragic. I never would have thought when playing the original FF VII that I'd one day think of him as my favorite FF character. He's lost so much because of Shinra, Sephiroth, and Genesis, and he fought as hard as he could to get himself and Cloud back to Midgar. Then he died protecting Cloud and pleaded with him to be his living legacy. And don't get me started on, "Would you say I became a hero?" Seriously, it's making me emotional even thinking about it