TEN SONGS THAT GET ME RIGHT IN THE FEELS
Inspired by @nantea These are in no particular order.
- 1."The First Days of Spring" by Noah and the WhaleI could put so many songs by them on this list, but I'll keep it to just one. I feel like this song a lot, what with lyrics like "like a cut down tree/I will rise again/and be bigger and stronger than ever before" and "I'm still here hoping that one day you may come back" and every other word to this song.
- 2."First Day of My Life" by Bright EyesI miss the feeling this song describes. I miss it a lot.
- 3."John Wayne Gacy Jr" by Sufjan StevensI don't know why a song about a serial killer resonates with me, but it does. I think it's the end of the song: "and in my best behavior/I am really just like him/look beneath the floorboards/for the secrets I have hid." I'm not a murderer of course, but I still feel unforgivable sometimes.
- 4."Loud Love" by Good Old WarSpecifically the demo version (not only does it have an extra verse, the overall tone is better in my opinion). I think about this song a lot because I don't know if anyone has ever felt this way about me, the kind of love this song is about.
- 5."Cleopatra" by The LumineersThis song is so sad. It talks of a wasted life, and the older I get, the more worried I am that I'm going to become like the subject of this song.
- 6."The Graveyard Near the House" by The Airborne Toxic EventThis one reminds me so much of Michelle. I think I cry every time I listen to it.
- 7."Hallelujah" by Jeff BuckleyDo I really need to go into this one? I'm sure most of you have heard his cover of this song. It's so melancholy and haunting and beautiful.
- 8."The Scientist" by ColdplayI used to be so much more hopeful and optimistic, but not anymore. There are many things I wish I could do over. Essentially, I want to go "back to the start," so to speak, to when I wasn't so jaded and when I could change things, when I could save people and relationships.
- 9."Since You Put Me Down" by Margo PriceApart from the alcohol abuse in this song, I identify with it so much. I feel very defeated much of the time these days.
- 10."The Clock Was Ticken'" by Brandon FlowersThis is a song about how hope and dreams can be destroyed by the cruel realities of the world. Despite its lively tone, it's actually rather bleak. It's a song about life passing you by. I don't want to look around one day and wonder where my life went.