WAYS TO BURN YOURSELF DEEP FRYING A TURKEY
Lots of people will be deep frying a bird this Thanksgiving. If they don't do it right, they could end up calling the fire department or an ambulance
- •OVERFILL THE OIL -- Instead make sure you only have enough oil to cover the turkey while leaving five inches of space at the top.
- •FRY A FROZEN TURKEY -- Make sure your bird is TOTALLY THAWED or the water inside will cause dangerous spatters.
- •GET THE OIL TOO HOT -- Do not let it go above 350 degrees.
- •LEAVE THE OIL UNATTENDED -- A watched pot is a good thing. A watched pot on level ground away from buildings is even better.
- •KEEP THE FLAME ON -- Turn off the burner when putting the bird in and taking it out to avoid flames.
- •IMMEDIATELY DISPOSE OF OIL -- Wait until it's cooled to air temperature.