10 "GAMES FOR GIRLS" IN APPLE'S APP STORE
I searched "games for girls" in the App Store to see which apps target gender. What I found was both disappointing and offensive: young girls being told that their interests are limited to babies, desserts, fashion, and beauty. I paired the games with rape statistics and abortion facts - you know, forbidden topics that many women experience. ENJOY!
- •"Easy Bake Treats!"Desserts are so fun!! You know what isn't? 7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- •"Style Me Girl"Did you know women of color are at higher risk for rape than white women? Percentages of women who will be raped in their lifetime--All women: 17.6% White women: 17.7% Black women: 18.8% Asian Pacific Islander women: 6.8% American Indian/Alaskan women: 34.1% Mixed race women: 24.4%
- •"Wedding Salon"Weddings are cool, and it's especially cool that gay weddings are totally legal now. Sadly, there are also some shocking rape statistics re: partners. 30% of adult rape cases were committed by husbands, common-law partners, or boyfriends. Women from religious backgrounds are more likely to accept spousal rape because they fear being labeled a “sinner” because of a possible divorce or having a spouse that commits adultery.
- •"Campus Life: Fashion Girl"A recommended sequel to this game could be Campus Life: Nearly 1 in 4 girls in college will experience attempted or completed rape by the time they graduate.
- •"Beauty Salon"Never let anyone tell you that makeup isn't feminist. If anyone tells you that wearing make up is "deceptive", maybe they should pay more attention to the words coming out of your mouth instead of whatever beauty products you use on your face. Also, did you know boys can wear make up too? Yup. It's for everybody!
- •"Choose Your Story, feat. Mean Girls: Senior Year"High school can be so fun! But did you know 35.8% of sexual assaults occur when the victim is between the ages of 12 and 17.
- •"Newborn Twins: Baby Care"Congress passed a law in Texas that caused the # of early abortion (less than 9 weeks pregnant) clinics to go down from 48 to 18. If you are more than 9 weeks pregnant, the are only 9 clinics that can perform surgical abortion in Texas. This influx of patients = waiting lists. women forced to wait until they are too pregnant for abortion. as many as 240,000 18- to 49-year-old women in Texas have attempted illegal at-home abortions. Abortion will never go away, but access to safe abortion can.
- •"Beauty Salon - Nail Art 2016"Dope manicures aren't just for girls. And did you know some of the most devastating rape statistics are found in the LGBTQ community? Approx 1 in 8 lesbian women & nearly 50% of bisexual women experience rape in their lifetime. Nearly half of bisexual men and four in ten gay men have experienced sexual violence other than rape in their lifetime. As with most hate-based violence, transgender individuals are the most likely to be affected. 64% of transgender people have experienced sexual assault.
- •"Little Newborn Baby Doctor"At least this game makes you a doctor. But only bc there are babies involved! Did you know when Guttmacher Institute researchers last ran the numbers in 2008 they found that 61% of women who terminate a pregnancy in this country are already mothers?
- •"Prom Salon"Prom is such a special night, no matter what you wear or who you go (or don't go) with. Unfortunately, approximately 1 in 5 female high school students report being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner.