A Movie That Reminds Me Of Each Half-Decade I've Been Alive
Inspired by @Boogie - here's the proper version!
- •An American Tail (0-5)The first movie I remember seeing in a theatre, with my mom.
- •Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (6-10)Pizza, parties, and pizza parties.
- •Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (11-15)When I think about the early to mid 90s, I wish I could say my mind goes to the stuff from this era I came to see and appreciate later, like Clerks or Pulp Fiction or even Scream. But my mind goes right to the impact of Jim Carrey and especially this first big film of his. Early hair inspiration, I guess. 🤷🏻♂️
- •American Beauty (16-20)I think of working at a movie theatre in my late teens and early twenties, and seeing this at that very key, impressionable time when you're first getting a sense of all the outrages and hypocrisies of life. Donnie Darko had a more lasting impact in that regard (that I'm especially realizing watching it a lot lately) and Office Space also left an impression re: my belief about jobs and money. But American Beauty sticks out the most.
- •Tie: Garden State & Love, Actually (21-25)Two movies I'm not as interested in now and that have, not by coincidence, both become very much hated and seen as problematic in this following decade. But I can't deny that when I think of the early 00s, these two come to mind first. Memories of relating to the former and attending a theatre employee showing for the latter, the general post-9/11 tenderness of both...they just feel like the right picks for that time.
- •The Dark Knight (26-30)Probably the greatest film of the 00s & it came out right before I made a life decision that I now see as having set the course for all the events of my life ever since. Precursor to all the existential dread I've experienced in this current decade, and a good opening (closing?) statement on an era of existential dread for a whole generation.
- •Tie: The End Of The Tour & La La Land (31-present)All the good and bad of how my life feels to me now is captured almost perfectly in these two movies (different aspects in each one). I really especially relate to the ideas that come up in The End Of The Tour.