WHAT I WISH THIN PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD ABOUT BEING FAT
Inspired by a tweet that asked this question. QUICK EDIT TO ADD that I am what many would classify as a "small fat," and that women bigger than me experience even more discrimination, and that I also am privileged as a white woman and my experience is just my experience and this is really just the iceberg of things I wish y'all knew.
- •Shopping can be really impossible
- •In-person shopping especiallyReally, I know there's nothing for me to buy here except earrings. I know.
- •I always want to go to Forever 21 because they always have plus sizesI know y'all are over F21 but fast fashion is still novel for me!
- •Sometimes I get freaked out by spaceWill I fit in this subway seat or roller coaster seat or theater seat or airline seat or or or
- •Every time you say "wow I didn't know you were a vegetarian" even though YOU KNEW, it feels like you're saying "oh man you don't eat meat and you're still fat"
- •Don't tell me to try Tinder or online dating. It's not the same for fat women.
- •When I compliment your clothes and you tell me it's from J Crew, all it does is remind me that J Crew doesn't want customers like me
- •I love Mindy Kaling and Lena Dunham and Amy Schumer too, but it's fucked up that they're the face of body positivity
- •Every time you say you need to lose weight or you're too fat it feels like an implicit criticism of me
- •Don't tell me my personality is great or someone needs to realize how special I am or some other patronizing bullshit.It only reminds me that I'm "different."
- •I was one of like five fat women I knew in college!And fat kids are less likely to go to college!
- •I'm stressed about finding a grown up doctor because I don't want to be fat-shamed by him or herHealthcare discrimination is a HUGE problem facing fat people. Anecdotally, my grandma has been in much better health since she found a doctor whose solution to all her issues wasn't just "lose weight." Sadly this is the treatment a lot of people receive.
- •Basically being a confident fat lady is a daily struggle and please just listen to my experiences and don't patronize and try not to say body negative shit about anybody and don't tell me I look thinner and don't tell me if something is flattering and please just be a good ally