things that taste like my childhood
inspired by my aHa! moment when i realized the vegan chick'n strips i've been eating remind me of the Price Club (RIP) chicken patties i ate with reckless abandon as a kid.
- •Happy Meals circa the 80sI made my mom pick every single onion out of that ketchup splat on the bottom of the bun. Because if I bit into one, I'd cry. I was totally that kid.
- •PepsiThe tall glass bottles & this squatty thing with a styrofoam label. Which I would peel apart in meticulous strips. The OCD is strong in this one!
- •Cigarette gumOne sad little sugar puff cloud per chewy ass tube of horribly flavored gum. Pretty awesome these were a thing.
- •Patatas fritasPortuguese grandma style, fried in a cast iron skillet that's older than me! She's 81 & will make them for her favorites. I took this pic & group msg'd my cousins "don't hate." 😽
- •Burnt baconMy mom legit can't cook. Nothing like following the smell of bacon only to find a sad plate of heartbreak.
- •Snow conesSometimes from this, sometimes from the ice cream truck creeper guy. Brain freeze + sugar high is a beautiful thing! 👾
- •TangUntil this very moment, I had no idea this crap was marketed as an "instant breakfast drink." It never quite dissolved so the last few gulps were Shock Tart-y 😝 Forced to drink it, so I made it as annoying as possible by stirring constantly... with gusto!
- •Quik strawberryThe only way I would drink milk. Wasn't into the chocolate version oddly enough... no, I preferred the tantalizing taste of artificial strawberry. Pretty sure I drank a fair amount of rust from the can. The oxidized iron probably made it more nutritious.
- •Homemade tortillas & beansMy dad was the baby of the family, therefore the favorite. Every weekend, my grandma would cook a pot of beans, potatoes & make tortillas. She always had a 5 gallon bucket of lard. Enough said.
- •Stale 10 lb bag of Price Club tortilla chipsThey had a pretty distinct flavor to begin with. But once they were stale -which happened fast since its a friggin' 10 lb bag- they were wholly unenjoyable. But we didn't waste food because there were people starving & we should be grateful to have food. True, true... but the chickens didn't even want to eat them (I tried!).
- •XO lovelies 😘