People I Invited to Join Me Tonight for the Wooster Group's "Cry Trojans!" @ St. Ann's
Why is it usually so hard to get people to see (reportedly/probably/maybe) good theatre for free?
- 1.That 🚶guy who I had a couple meh dates with but who's always wanting to hang out and watch movies, etc. ❌"Let me check with my friend who's visiting... Shoot, can't change our dinner plans." Excused and relieved. Because I had accidentally invited him, due to his name being almost identical to this ⤵️ guy I *intended* to text...
- 2.That 👦 guy I had a 💯 first date with last weekend. ❌"Would love to but I'm going upstate for a Seder. Let's do something Saturday night though." Excused.
- 3.That other 👨 guy I had a 👌 first date with earlier last week. ❌"The show I'm working on wraps next week." Hmm. Unexcused. Second date in jeopardy.
- 4.That 👶 guy I dated for a bit last summer. ❌"I work til 8 booooo." Excused. Cuddle party soon.
- 5.That old 🎭 friend who can usually be relied upon to join for good theatre, even on a Friday night with short notice. ❌"I want to see that but I have to go see an opera." Excused.
- 6.That 👱 guy I met after we were both semi-quoted in an article about that bar with the red rooster in the window (as the New York Times put it.) ✅"Sure! Sounds great! I'll take the ferry to Dumbo. Wanna meet for drinks before?" The bar we met in was The Cock (old location) and we became friends. I'm looking forward to seeing him and catching up. Oh, and the play.
- 7.[For the record, it was damn 👍.]