REIGNING QUEENS OF COOL
Throughout the decades there have been bold, brazen & boundary crossing women who have followed their muses & unleashed their own brand of cool on the world. Here are my current top 5 (sorry RhiRhi I'm just not that into you).
- •Lana Del ReyShe may be entirely manufactured, but the fact is Natalie Grant - her former alias (and real self) - was nowhere near as intriguing. LDR lives in a world of her own invention. Where sadness, mystery, class and filth are all equally celebrated.
- •Sharon Van EttenShe's just one of the coolest, most underrated songstresses of our time. It's criminal but also oddly fitting. Wise, beautiful, funny, goofy and talented, could you ask for anything more?
- •SantigoldWhen I was in London in 2008 I had Santi's album on shuffle and repeat on my little iPod nano. 8 years later she is set to release her third album and she remains as cool, pioneering and interesting as ever. Never one to be pigeon holed, she draws inspiration from punk, reggae, grime, hip hop and occasionally folk. Nothing is off limits for Santi White.
- •M.I.AThe reigning dancehall queen and underdogs champion, Maya Arulprgasam came out swinging in 2006 and has never looked back. Whether it's getting into public spats with the United States as a country or stealing Madonna's thunder on live tv, Maya has pretty much proved again and again that she has something to offer besides controversy.
- •Claire BoucherBetter known by her recording name Grimes, Claire is currently sitting at the top of the charts thanks to her most recent album. She quite simply is the voice and face of this modern generation.