10 Internet Moments of 2015 That We Wish We Could Forget
Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks. But this is the Internet, so let’s be a little bit bitter for a moment before returning the the spirit of the season. Below is a list of some of the things we wish we could forget the most.
- 1.Cecil the LionThe reaction to the death of one lion, at the hands of a Minnesota dentist, went nuts and hung around the top of the news cycle for days. The reaction included a massive attempt to avenge Cecil by leaving bad Yelp reviews for the dentist’s practice.
- 2.When the Internet upstaged a brideA viral photograph of a man proposing to a woman at someone else’s wedding rode across the Internet on a mighty wave of outrage earlier this year. Except … the bride – whom everyone assumed would be furious about being upstaged — had proposed the idea herself, she later said.
- 3.PeepleThe founders of a terrible idea for an app — sort of a “Yelp for people,” where users could rate other human beings like they were a restaurant — seemed to have only the best of intentions. And that, paradoxically, made the whole idea of Peeple seem even worse.
- 4.The DressIS IT BLUE AND BLACK OR WHITE AND GOLD?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
- 5.Shaming people for talking about The Dress.It is okay to dislike The Dress (see above). The Dress became a topic of international intrigue on the same slow news day that a bunch of llamas escaped and ran around free in an Arizona town, and something about that prompted a bunch of people to shame anyone discussing either dumb topic, instead of more serious discussions. As it turns out, humans are capable of paying attention to more than one thing at the same time.
- 6.Weaponized crowdfundingDo you remember Memories Pizza? The Indiana restaurant whose owners said that the business would not, hypothetically, cater a gay wedding? Do you remember how supporters donated $800,000 to its GoFundMe campaign?
- 7.Social media star sex scandalsThe young community of our planet’s Vine stars was embroiled in a really bleak sex scandal over the summer, after a video leaked showing Carter Reynolds repeatedly pressuring his underage girlfriend into performing oral sex. Honorable mention: YouTubers Sam and Nia's Ashley Madison scandal.
- 8.Pizza rat14 seconds of a rat carrying a slice of pizza down some good old New York subway steps captured the internet’s attention for a hot 24 hours.
- 9.Red cupsMost Christians don’t actually seem to care whether Starbucks’ holiday cups have snowflakes or other Christmas-y symbols on them. But that fact didn’t stop a controversy over a new, minimalist red cup design from becoming a Big Huge Issue earlier this month after a pastor posted a viral video encouraging people to “prank” Starbucks by giving their name as Merry Christmas, in protest of the less Christmasy cups.
- 10.The blogger who lied about having cancerBelle Gibson, an Australian health blogger, admitted that she had lied about curing terminal cancer with a healthy, whole-food diet, a narrative that was the basis of her business as a heath writer.