5 Myths About Bacon
Bacon love is often plagued by misinformation and wishful thinking. Here are five myths about this newly maligned national culinary pastime: http://wapo.st/1Q3GflT
- •Bacon is always delicious.Before the 20th century, most of it was cured at home and NOT delicious.
- •Bacon is belly meat.Only in the United States does bacon refer exclusively to pork belly.
- •Bacon has always been what’s for breakfast.Marketing efforts didn't make bacon a breakfast staple until the 1950s.
- •Uncured bacon is nitrate-free."Nitrate-free" or uncured bacon likely contains celery powder, which contains naturally occurring nitrates.
- •Eating bacon is as risky as smoking.Smoking, asbestos and processed meats all have solid links to cancer. But that doesn’t mean they have the same level of risk.