6 Most Interesting Things About New Nats Manager Dusty Baker
The Washington Nationals introduced new manager Dusty Baker on Thursday morning (for real, this time), the sixth in the team's short history. He is a very interesting man.
- •His name is Dusty.Well, not really. His legal name is Johnnie B. Baker, but his mother called him Dusty because he was always dirty as a child.
- •A former all-star outfielderHe won them both with the Dodgers, but also played with the Braves, Athletics and Giants.
- •Three-time National League Manager of the Year with the GiantsHe has a .526 winning percentage as a major league skipper with the Giants, Cubs and Reds. His 1,671 wins rank him 17th all-time in the majors.
- •One of only two current minority managers in the MLBJoins Fredi Gonzalez, who is Latino, of the Braves.
- •Had a hand in inventing the high five(!)In 1977, Baker headed back to the dugout after a home run and teammate Glenn Burke held up his hand. Baker hit Burke’s hand with his, not knowing what else to do. In that moment, legend has it, the high-five was born.
- •Allegedly smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix(Story here: http://wapo.st/1kwys3E)