Things I Know
On the day commemorating my 34th trip around the sun, here is my first List. 9 things I know to be unequivocally true, in no particular order.
- •Baseball is the greatest game that has ever been devised.
- •Asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission, but getting forgiveness is harder, and asking permission is smarter.
- •The bass player is the most important member of any band.
- •Trivial knowledge is useless without critical thinking skills to connect dots and apply lessons learned from all those facts.
- •When it comes to alcohol, quality is infinitely more important than quantity.
- •Reading an actual book is better than watching something, but that never stops me from having a full DVR and an overloaded Netflix queue, because watching something is easier.
- •Everyday my kids challenge me to be a better man, and every night I struggle to fall asleep because I'm certain I'm not up to it. I didn't think it possible to love anyone as much as I love them.
- •You can't wait until something, or someone, is gone to appreciate it/them. Your whole life will be bittersweet, and the sweetness isn't the part of scotch that ages well.
- •When I was younger, I wouldn't have struggled so mightily to come up with nine unequivocal truths. I know now I don't know half the shit I thought I knew 15 years ago.