Favorite Albums of 2016 (So Far)
Here are 10 albums I've loved in the first half of 2016, and 7 more that just missed the cut.
- •1) The Hotelier - GoodnessLife-affirming emo/indie rock about moving on. The Goodness Pt. 1 > Piano Player 1-2 punch is a drug for me.
- •2) Pinegrove - CardinalAn indie rock album that almost feels country. The band refers to it as "introspective partying". Cadmium and Aphasia are standouts.
- •3) Wye Oak - TweenThis one had to grow on me, but Watching the Waiting and If You Should See are such bangers. Can't get enough.
- •4) Andy Shauf - The PartyThe production is muted, mellow British pop. The songs are all vignettes of different observations from a night at a party. The Magician might be my song of the year so far.
- •5) David Bazan - BlancoSuch a different sound than his first two solo albums, but this one has grown on me, too. Check out Both Hands and With You.
- •6) Car Seat Headrest - Teens of DenialAn overly long, overly loud rock record that I can't get enough of. Listening to Vincent and The Ballad of the Costa Concordia will set you back almost 20 minutes, but it's worth it.
- •7) Robert Ellis - self-titledMaybe not as great all around as his previous album, but still full of weird, sweet songs (although sadder this time) combined with stellar playing from himself and his band.
- •8) The 1975 - i like it when you sleep...Another overly long one, but I can't get enough. I also can't believe I don't hate them. The fact that my favorite song on here is called UGH! should tell you a lot.
- •9) Alez Dezen - self-titledThe first full-length solo album from one of my favorite songwriters. Mostly sad stuff, but always interesting.
- •10) Mitski - Puberty 2On a list full of unexpected albums for me, this is probably the most unexpected. But when I first heard Your Best American Girl several months ago, I knew this one would be a big part of my year.
- •Radiohead - A Moon Shaped PoolFavorite tracks: Daydreaming, True Love Waits
- •Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to EarthFavorite track: Call to Arms
- •White Denim - StiffFavorite tracks: Holda You (I'm Psycho), Had 2 Know
- •Savages - Adore LifeFavorite track: Adore
- •Margaret Glaspy - Emotions and MathFavorite tracks: You Don't Want Me, No Matter Who
- •Penny & Sparrow - Let a Lover Drown YouFavorite tracks: Bourbon, Each to Each
- •Brandy Clark - Big Day in a Small TownFavorite track: Three Kids No Husband