Being Okay With Being Alone
My own journey
- •I am very extroverted. I crave the company of other people.I used to wake up in the middle of the night if my ex and I weren't touching in some way in bed. I'm apparently even extroverted in my sleep.
- •I have little to no anxiety in front of crowds.I used to have the most anxiety when I was by myself.
- •I'm actively trying to change.
- •I used to work at 7am, but I would still go out until 1am because I didn't want to miss out on whatever my friends were doing.No more!
- •The past two Fridays, I've stayed home. I make dinner, watch a movie, and go to bed early.It was really hard. Both nights people called me and tried to get me to go out with them. But I didn't.
- •When I do end up home alone, I do fun things.Instead of sitting around and thinking about how lonely I am, I'll rent a happy movie or I'll paint or I'll bake something. Then it's fun to be alone.
- •Last night, my friend wanted me to visit him at the ice cream shop where he works. No one was available to go with me, so I went alone.It was fun! I got to say hi to my friend and I got some really great ice cream! I ate it alone at a table and listened to music.
- •After class, my friends usually go get food and then do homework together. I go to the library by myself because I know I won't actually get any work done around all my friends.I never have homework to do at home now, so my time at home is always fun.
- •Basically, it's still tough to be alone.I feel lonely a lot.
- •But it's a work in progress.Now I'm forcing myself to rely on myself for happiness instead of relying on the people around me.
- •I feel a lot healthier, mentally.
- •I think it's important to be alone.If you're around the same friends all the time, won't you get sick of them?
- •Anyway, I guess I made this list to remind myself why it's nice to be alone. I've seen a lot of great movies lately. I'm happy.