Jobs I Have Had, Ranked
In order from best to worst.
- 1.Recess/Lunch & AfterSchool monitor, J at School programsI love telling people that I'm a recess teacher. They always get jealous. Sometimes the kids are awful, but most of the time they're not. I get to play all day and I love that. I also love that I hang out with these kids just long enough that they don't get annoying or boring, and then I send them back to their teacher or their parents. 10/10 would recommend.
- 2.Before School monitor, J at School programsI had to be at an elementary school at 7 AM Monday thru Friday and I just got to play with kids for an hour, then I went to school when they did. Pretty rad and easy going, except for having to wake up at 6.
- 3.Camp Counselor, Apachi Chicago Day Camp (1st grade girls)Awesome first job to have in Chicago. Camp is my favorite place on earth.
- 4.Nanny for Henry (2) and Sam (4)Great kids, boring job. Every morning during the summer while the mom worked from home. I wasn't allowed to take the kids anywhere, so it got real boring real quick.
- 5.Nanny for Jake and Alex (twins, 12)Fun, awkward. They were my cousins and I was only 4 years older than them. My job was mostly just to drive them around and get them out of the house in the summer. I always felt awkward when their dad would come home on Fridays and pay me, and I had to tell him how much money we spent during the week.
- 6.Beverage Cart Girl, Painted Hills Golf ClubBest paying job I've ever had, but also the most demeaning. I'd get double the amount of tips if I wore lipstick or painted my nails, compared to when I didn't. I was 18 and all the men tried to get me to drink with them. They'd get offended if I didn't remember their favorite type of beer and they'd tell me I'd get better tips if I wore less clothes.
- 7.Camp Counselor, Apachi Chicago Day Camp (2nd grade girls)Awful summer! I broke two toes at work (bless workers comp) and couldn't walk for a week. My boss hated me after that, and I'm not sure why. She was super nice during my first summer, then she got way mean.
- 8.Hostess, Caspian BistroTerrible job. I only lasted 4 months. They only gave me 4 hours a week, and it was so boring. There were never more than 4 tables filled at a time. I had nothing to do. Often, my boss would give me my paycheck and say, "Don't cash this until Tuesday."
- 9.Counter Manager, Kin Lin Chinese RestaurantAmazing food, terrible owners. They were very mean people. I once had to work a twelve hour shift with zero breaks. I think that's illegal?