Things I've changed since I moved to California
- •Quit smokingUCLA is an entirely smoke-free campus and I yielded to peer pressure and/or extreme inconvenience. Sometimes I miss it, but I really only let it become a habit out of boredom.
- •Started a mindfulness practiceI'm so bad at it unless someone else is narrating. Except for grounding. I can list things for sure.
- •Began taking sun care seriouslySPF in my moisturizer. Freckles are fun, wrinkles are not.
- •Got a new driver's licenseEven though I lived in New Hampshire, D.C. and Philly, I never got rid of my unsmiling Virginia license. Until now. My hair is blonde and curly in it. Today it's straight and brown. Master of disguise.
- •Switched medicationsAll of them. It was not fun.
- •Got the premium annual pass to DisneylandI go about once a month. I crave Dole Whip Floats. And the free parking makes the whole venture feel cost effective. Always looking for friends to join!
- •Found a therapist who understands meSo much better than the last one I saw who would always ask: "Who is the real Maura?" See: driver's license picture.
- •Started going to movies in theaters againThey're advertised on buses, it would be hard not to.
- •Became a law studentI'm 30 and this is not what I had envisioned, but here I am.