- •PAULA SCHER100% badass amazing bish. I've wanted to work for her since I was 17. she got her start designing album covers in the 70s and has done branding for tons of huge corprations. A few of her greatest hits: Boston's Don't Look Back album cover , THE CITIBANK LOGO, the Public Theatre logo/brandind, Microsoft 8 logo, etc etc etc. She's a partner at Pentagram (my dream job).
- •PAUL RANDdesigned so many logos you see every day. UPS, ABC, Westinghouse, IBM. a personal favorite esp since he was supposedly a cranky old bastard.
- •DAVID CARSONoh hi, RAYGUN MAGAZINE. perhaps the most influential publication to me aesthetically, ever? It looks dated now but NOTHING looked like that before he did it. I love his irreverence toward a standard magazine experience. Some stories were black ink on black pages. some just ended mid-sentence. Sometimes it was upside down or backwards. I mean..why NOT, right?. Brought a stack of these with me when i started at Bon Appetit (the spirit guided me) He is still around, like, surfing in LA.
- •SISTER CORITA KENTa nun who made the most amazing silkscreen posters and art you've ever seen. composition / color / type / shape it's all so on point and exciting. and she was doing this in the 1960s btw. inspiring as all hell. in the back of my mind with a lot of what i did at Bon Appetit
- •MATTHEW CARTERso many typefaces that you know and use. The NYT logo as you see it now. the perfect T magazine logo that existed until those tasteless jackanapes replaced it. British, dashing, rakish, a white pony-tailed gentleman. Was lucky to work with him a few times while I worked at the NYT and he's delightful
- •FRED WOODWARDat Rolling Stone in the 90s specifically. Those layouts are inspirational to me. Any RS cover or layout you remember from that time (RHCP w socks on dicks, Janet w Boob Hands) is from his tenure. He's been at GQ now forever and is a really nice man
- •MIKE MILLSin the 90s he worked on every thing i loved. x-girl, x-large, grand royal, the sonic youth washing machine cover, cibo matto albums. etc etc etc. now he makes movies but whatever
- •HERB LUBALINgorgeous bold lyrical typography + design (the all-white album cover I did for the Walkmen was an homage, in my mind)