I've been designing publications for almost 15 years so i use these terms all day everyday and forget that most of it seems like secret code. this is a nerdy list.
  1. FOB
    front-of-book. where the ads are and all the one page quickie fast paced trend stuff is located
  2. TOC
    table of contents
  3. WELL
    the well / feature well : no ad zone. where you find full page pictures, long lovely stories, a good read.
  4. SPINE
  5. HI RES
    high resolution images (300 dpi for print)
  6. LO RES
    low resolution. used for layouts before final/press. small file size : faster computers. dont need hi res til you look at proofs / go to press
    advertising side term. where do the ads need to go and what needs to be ADJACENT
  8. HED
  9. DEK
    the thing after the headline that tells you what the story is about
  10. Tk
    used as placeholder for text, literally "to come". "HED HERETKTKTK" os what i put on stories as i am designing or BEST OF LOS ANGELES TKTKTK to mean like, "somethinf like this, this isnt real yet"
    a long ass string of latin that is traditionally used as placeholder text until the real story is ready
  12. LINEUP
    the list, preferably in excel form, that contains everything in the issue. helpful columns to include: word counts, pages alloted, writer, photog, when will the manuscript be in, when will art be in
  13. FOLIO
    usually found at bottom of page. traditionally tells you pge number, issue month, name of pub. desingers hate them editors love them. i argue that no one is gonna throw the mag out a window if they cant find pge 103 (if 101 and 105 are labeled)
  14. PROOFS
    a look at what your page will look like printed in the mag. this can be with actual print outs or onscreen (soft proofing). last chance to catch a typo or color issue or design mistake
    right hand full page that announces the feature well. SPRING! THE HOTTEST GUYS OF COLLEGE A CAPPELA ! THANKSGIVING GUIDEBOOK! you know what i mean.
  16. BLEED
    any picture or piece of art that runs full page needs to "bleed" past the edge, typically 1/4". magazines are printed on paper larger than final size and then chopped down guillotine style in huge stacks to make them all perfect. so you need some wiggle room
    a sticker on the cover (manually or digitally applied)
  18. PICA
    layout design unit of measurement. i havent used inches in years.
    headline over the logo on the cover
    big screaming headlines to get you to buy this mag. i hate em.
    universal color system used by all designers and printers. so i can choose PANTONE 186 (a really good red) and we all know what it SHOULD look like and it can be mixed to specification at the printer. only used on covers unless you have baller money
    when Vanity Fair does the cover and it folds out like 75 times with neverending actors? That's a gatefold cover. gatefolds can be anywhere but usually if they are inside it's for ad reasons
    a little special shine in only one part of the cover (if you can afford spot varnish on insode pages then you are VERY RICH)
    how many pages is this thing this month?
  25. FPO
    for placement only (see also LO RES). can also be an illustration or something you use in a layout until the final is ready / approved
  26. Gutter
    The DMZ in between pages, where the mag folds open.
    Suggested by @JessePearson
    color is made up of CMYK, that is to say CYAN MAGENTA YELLOW BLACK (black is K, dunno why). small black type should be 100k but anything bigger than 16 pt (as far as i am concerned), or anythig that is an expanse of heavy black (a fat line, a page, a shape) should be a rich black, black with a little bit of every color in it to make it heavy strong and BLACKEST BLACK. i like 80/60/40/100 (percentages of CMYK)