WHAT I MISS ABOUT NEW YORK
i don't actually miss new york on the whole, at least not yet. i was born there and spent my whole life in it or near it so i was ready to leave but these things still make me pine ❤️
- •Bodegas / Bodega culturethe ballet of new yorkers on their way to work. pour your own coffee and iced coffee. bacon egg n cheese on a roll. egg whites and cheese salt and pepper hot sauce in a wrap. late night sandwiches with shredded lettuce. we left our housekeys at our old bodegs for friends/cleaning lady. they loved my dog. when i go in now they say they miss us and ask about California.
- •A far-reaching 24hr public transit systemduh. see my earlier list on the frustrations of SF transit.
- •The lack of thought i have to put in to get almost anywhere (barring some Brooklyn)I already know. It's ingrained. I know if we can walk or what train to take or should we take the bus or fuck it just take a cab. I don't know how to get ANYWHERE here. still. what if that never changes?
- •Old friendsi mean, duh. And i HAVE friends here, finally. but someome you met 6 months ago < friends who knew you through multiple haircuts / boyfriends / jobs /moods. but most of my bff's have moved to LA so that number is shrinking anyways
- •The city-wide high the first warm day of the yearlets be clear: the WEATHER is not something i miss in the least bc winter OR summer, it sucks ass. sorry. but that ONE GLORIOUS DAY where its like bare legs and a full lawn at bryant park at lunch and everyone is smiling and drinking iced coffee and walking home..that is pretty fucking great
- •from 169 Bar all the way up to Columbia, i have a memory attached to every street and corneri noticed this the last time i visited. parties, dates, work, concerts, makeouts, breakups, birthdays, lazy days, wandering etc etc etc. every street triggered a memory. i don't think i'll have that anywhere ever again.
- •Breakfast sandwichesit's not really a thing here. WHY
- •Late night optionsnot even of the drinking and partying variety. I just want a store to be open past 7 here. Like, who doesnt wanna browse a shop while you wait for a table? this city closes SO EARLY
- •Tasti-Dbefore pinkberry and 16 handles there was TASTI D LITE. there are a million flavors in name only, its basically chocolate or vanilla. rainbow sprinkles on the bottom, chocolate tasti d, more sprinks on top. THE ULTIMATE SUMMER NIGHT SNACK
- •Getting delivery in a timely mannerthe standard here is ONE HOUR. can you even?