7 THINGS TO SAY TO SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION
What a person suffering from depression needs most is compassion and understanding. Not only do you have to listen well, but you need to be sensitive about what you say when you talk about the depression. Give your loved one your full attention. Be open and caring. Listen without judgement. Adapted from: www.wikihow.com/Help-Someone-with-Depression
- •You are not alone in this. I'm here for you.
- •I understand you have a real illness and that's what causes these thoughts and feelings.
- •You may not believe it now, but the way you're feeling will change.
- •I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel, but I care about you and want to help.
- •You are important to me. Your life is important to me.
- •It must have been very difficult for you to tell me that. Thank you so much for opening up.
- •I’m sorry that you’re feeling bad. What can I do to help?