BECAUSE... MONDAY. 🌀 HOW TO PERFORM SELF-HYPNOSIS 🌀
Self-hypnosis is a naturally occurring state of mind which can be defined as a heightened state of focused concentration.
- •Figure out your hypnosis goals.Self-hypnosis can be used just for relaxation, sure, but it can be for a number of life-enhancing things, too. Many use it to achieve their goals, change their thinking, or just as general positive reinforcement or motivation.
- •Close your eyes and work to rid your mind of any feelings of fear, stress, or anxiety.When you begin, you might find it difficult not to think. You may find that thoughts keep intruding. When this happens, don't try to force the thoughts out. Observe them impartially, and then let them slip away. See How to Meditate (www.wikihow.com/meditate) for more help with this step. Alternatively, some like to focus on a point on the wall, concentrating on the eyelids. Repeat to yourself that they're getting heavier and heavier and let them close when you cannot keep them open anymore.
- •Recognize the tension in your body.Beginning with your toes, imagine the tension slowly falling away from your body and vanishing. Imagine it freeing each body part one at a time starting with your toes and working its way up your body. Visualize each part of your body becoming lighter and lighter as the tension is removed. Using imagery techniques of something you find comforting or soothing, such as water (feel the water rushing over your feet and ankles, cleansing them of tension) can be effective as well.
- •Take slow, deep breaths.When you exhale, see the tension and negativity leaving in a dark cloud. As you inhale, see the air returning as a bright force filled with life and energy. At this point, you can use visualization (www.wikihow.com/visualize) as you so choose. Think of a lemon and cut it in half in your mind. Imagine the juices oozing out and getting over your fingers. Place it in your mouth. What's your reaction? How does it feel, taste, and smell? Then, move onto more meaningful visions and get detailed.
- •Appreciate the fact that you are now extremely relaxed.Imagine you are at the top of a flight of 10 stairs, the fifth step starts to submerge into water. Picture every detail of this scene. Tell yourself that you are going to descend the stairs, counting each step down, starting at 10. Picture each number in your mind and imagine that each number is further down, one closer to the bottom. You should now start to feel somewhat numb and your heart will start to race a bit, but notice it and let any qualms just drift away in the water.
- •Feel a floating sensation.That's all you should feel, or spinning. (If not, try again, slower.) Decide what you want. Now start to narrate what you are doing; speak in the present and future tense quietly to yourself. Start to picture three boxes under the water that you have to swim to. Then open them slowly one at a time, and narrate, e.g. "As I open the box I feel a radiant light engulf me, I feel it becoming a part of me. This light is my new found confidence that I can never lose as it is now a part of me."
- •Repeat your statement(s) to yourself as many times as you wish.Feel free to wander about the water, visualizing yourself emptying boxes, finding treasure (in the form of self-confidence, money, etc.), or simply letting all your tensions disappear. Find areas where the water is cold, hot, or full of wildlife. Let your imagination go.
- •Get ready to exit your hypnotic state.With each step you take, feel the water becoming lower and lower until you have once again reached that fifth step. Once you are out of the water and are on the sixth step you may start to feel heavy or as if there is a weight on your chest. Merely wait on the step until this passes, constantly repeating your aforementioned statements. Once it passes, continue up the stairs, visualizing each step by its number, feeling the steps underneath you. Will yourself to carry on up the stairs.
- •If you come up with another scenario that you prefer, use it!For the record, this water visualization isn't 100% hard and true. Another scenario is just as good, if not better, since it works for you.
- •Once you have ascended, give yourself a few moments before opening your eyes.You may want to visualize yourself opening a door to the outside world. Do this slowly and imagine the light that pours in through the doorway; this should make your eyes open naturally. If you need to, count down from ten, telling yourself that once you finish, your eyes will open. Take your time getting up. Then tell yourself, "Wide awake, wide awake," or something you're used to to wake up. This will put your mind back in the conscious state, bringing you back to reality.
- •For the full article: www.wikihow.com/Perform-Self-Hypnosis