HOW TO MAKE IT THROUGH AUTUMN HEAT
the temperature gauge persists above the ninety-degree mark and who is to say that we are not all drowning?
- •Keep all the blinds closed.
- •Keep all the lights off.
- •Write down the fever dreams from which you wake, salt-soaked and pressed to the foot of your bed, your face searching in vain for the fan, which blows hot air at the bed frame.
- •Strip down to bra and shorts when it grows too hot to sweat through another shirt.
- •Relish the uncontrollably frigid atmosphere at your place of work.
- •Buy just enough that the café will not kick you out from the air conditioning.
- •Imagine that a day will come when you can afford a different kind of home than this.
- •When you shower, start with the water very very warm, and then turn the hot handle completely off.
- •Burn yourself up; if you are already aflame, you cannot catch.