Visiting the museum with 6-12 year olds
Inspired by @celinerogers (People you see at museums)
- •not age limited, just ask my friends who indulge me
- •First, know your audience. Keep the visits to their ability (I use five minutes x their age)And keep to it. Don't tell a 10 year old that's a 50 minute visit when it will go for hours
- •Second, don't take them to exhibits crowded with people
- •Third, we aren't "going to the museum" or "seeing the great new exhibit"
- •What we are doing is: Casing the joint
- •When there …
- •… talk in whispersFurtively conspiring
- •… ask what they likeThen read the descriptions to them, or with them. Ask what they like about it. Are they happy when they see it?
- •… suggest alternatives to what they like and explain why"This one reminds me of that time Scooby-Doo was in a graveyard in that episode we watched"
- •… talk about the value of the lootin terms of historic and social value
- •… talk about the person or culture that produced the loot"do you think people in the Edo period knew one day we would have Scooby-doo?" "Do you think the artist was happy or sad when this was made?"
- •… talk about the aestheticswhere will they place the loot? How would it look out-of-doors? Will it clash with their Tigger poster?
- •… talk about how to steal the lootUnder your shirt? Make sure the guard isn't looking!! Break in through a window! Down through a skylight (classic!)
- •… talk about other museum goersare they undercover guards? other thieves?
- •… ask if they would make this type of art or something completely different
- •… talk about the room itselfwhere are the cameras? Is it temperature controlled? If so, why?
- •… feign disinterest in stealing that dayand go get an ice cream