CALORIE SOURCES IN AMERICANS' DIETS, RANKED
Top sources of calories in Americans' (ages 2 and up) diets according to analyses of usual dietary intake by the National Cancer Institute. Foods and beverages were divided into 97 categories and ranked according to calorie contribution to the diet. (Source: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.)
- •Grain-based dessertsIncludes cake, cookies, pie, cobbler, sweet rolls, pastries, and donuts.
- •Yeast breadsIncludes white bread or rolls, mixed-grain bread, flavored bread, whole wheat bread, and bagels.
- •Chicken dishesIncludes fried or baked chicken parts and chicken strips/patties, chicken stir-fries, chicken casseroles, chicken sandwiches, chicken salads, stewed chicken, and other chicken mixed dishes.
- •Soda/energy/sports drinksSodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and sweetened bottled water including vitamin water.
- •Alcoholic beverages
- •Pasta dishesIncludes macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, other pasta with or without sauces, filled pasta (e.g., lasagna and ravioli), and noodles.
- •Tortillas, burritos, tacosAlso includes nachos, quesadillas, and other "Mexican mixed dishes."
- •Beef dishesIncludes steak, meatloaf, beef with noodles, and beef stew
- •Dairy dessertsIncludes ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet, milk shakes, and pudding.