A GUIDE TO ORDERING DIM SUM LIKE A PRO
Dim sum is the cool Chinese cousin of brunch. What makes it cool? Family style sharing, food on carts, to order you just point at what you want. Here's what to point at to not be a n00b.
- •Zheng Jiao/DumplingThese goodies a filled with pork, chives, and ginger. A dim sum staple.
- •Xia Jiao/shrimp dumplingSimilar to it the porky companion except all shrimp and ginger. 👌👌
- •Chai Shao Bao/steamed pork bunBBQ pork bun in fluffy carb rich jacket. What more could you ask for?
- •Nuo Mi Ji/Lotus wrapped sticky riceTHIS IS MY JAM. Sweet rice that is savory and filled with the juicy flavorings from the chicken, Chinese sausage, and peanuts.
- •Shao Mai/Siu MaiEssentially an open faced dumpling of delicious.
- •Chi Zhi Pai Gu/Steamed spare ribsBit size tender pieces of spare ribs that are extremely savory. If you're any self respecting human who loves pepper and salt, gobble it up.
- •Niu Bai Ye/beef tripePickled, spicy and delicious. This separates the dim sum masters from the "lao wais"/outsiders.
- •Feng zhao/chicken feetYou may be initially skeptical about chicken feet but hear me out. It's actually very tasty, if not the tastiest of all the dim sum dishes. They are cooked 3 times using 3 different methods (fried, braised, and then steamed). The flavors are rich and everything is so tender. Usually they come in two flavors, a sweet and tangy fermented black bean and a spicy pickled. Plus they're called "Phoenix claws" so that's pretty cool in itself.
- •Xiao long bao/ soup dumplingsTheses little dumplings pack a lot of flavor! Pork dumpling filled with soup. Unlike regular dumpling where you just stuff into mouth, you'll put these lil guys in a spoon, bite the top off to let it cool a bit, and then slurp it up. If your dim sum place has it l, get it!
- •Happy eatings and get pointin' 👇👉👇👈