5 YOGA POSES FOR BACK PAIN
Back pain is one of the most common ailments and complaints today. Whether it's from prolonged sitting, heavy lifting, or overuse here are the best yoga poses for relief.
- •Child's PoseStart kneeling and walk your arms forward on the ground in front of you. Reach your hips for your heels. Rest your forehead on the ground / a block / bolster. Breathe deeply. Let your knees be as close together or far apart as feels good for you. Find comfort in this pose to stay a while. Child's pose is great for opening up space in your low back. // photo credit : https://instagram.com/p/9VdP0Sv88H/
- •Downward DogFrom child's pose, roll onto your toes and lift your hips to the sky. As you reach your hips higher try to reach your heels for the ground. Let your head relax between your arms while encouraging your chest to move closer to your thighs as you elongate your entire spine.
- •Standing Forward FoldStart standing with your feet at least hips distance apart. As you exhale lead with your chest, elongate your spine and begin to fold forward. Let the crown of your head hang heavy. Press your heels into the floor as you lift your sit bones toward the ceiling. Keeping the knees as bent as you need to, never locking your knees. You can bend your elbows and hold on to each elbow with the opposite hand, rest them on a block or let them hang.
- •Knees To ChestLying on your back slowly bring your knees towards your chest. Grabbing onto your shins or wrapping your arms around your legs giving your self a big hug. You can rock side to side or up and down, giving your back a nice gentle massage. Make motions that only feel good to your body and your back. // photo cred: https://instagram.com/p/8RldzZBChc/?tagged=apanasana
- •Spinal TwistStart lying on your back and bring your arms out to your side like a T or goal post. Slowly bring your knees towards the chest, as you exhale let them fall gently to either side. Take your gaze to the opposite direction while breathing deeply. Stay here and relax while letting gravity do all the work. Be sure to repeat on the opposite side. https://instagram.com/p/xte5zBlU1n/?tagged=reclinedspinaltwist