SOME THINGS I'LL MISS ABOUT BANGKOK
After 4 years, I'm leaving the Big Mango and heading back to America...for some reason. This list will always be evolving, but here is what I'm thinking about now...
- •Motorcycle TaxisYes, I could die, but sometimes there are distances that are just too far to walk and too short to taxi.
- •The FoodThere is so much more than pad thai and green curry. Som Tam, laab, pad krapao (runny egg only), nam tok...sigh. And it's everywhere.
- •My 'hoodI live in a great neighborhood: Ari. It's convenient but also removed. Plus, all the vendors know my order. Because I'm adorable, I'm sure.
- •Cost of LivingExciting, I know. But for a major city, it is so reasonable! A nice night out with a few drinks and a good meal can be $30. I'm ruined.
- •Coconut waterOn the street! For a dollar! For awhile I thought it tasted like warm vomit, but then I came around. Especially when I'm hungover.
- •Coke in a bagOr Fanta in a bag. Get your mind out of the gutter
- •ChatuchakI don't know why I love this market so much. It's massive, hectic, hot...but it has my heart.
- •Movies!For a movie lover in general, Bangkok cinemas are a dream. From standing up for the king's anthem before to the flavored popcorn (half caramel/half butter, natch). All of it for $7.
- •Why am I leaving again?