❗️STANFORD RAPE CASE: WHAT YOU CAN DO
We're all aware that the Stanford rapist - despite a unanimous guilty verdict, despite 3 felony convictions, despite facing a maximum of 14 years in state prison - was sentenced to 6 months in county jail, 3 months for good behavior. Now the million dollar question: what do we do about it? Here's where we can start.
- •1. Sign the petition (https://www.change.org/p/california-state-house-recall-judge-aaron-persky) to remove Judge Aaron Persky from his Judicial position.
- •He justified his lenient ruling by stating that a longer incarceration would have "a severe impact" on Brock Turner.
- •Yet the victim isn't afforded that same luxury. She won't escape that night - it will be an invisible, unyielding weight that shadows everything she does, says, and feels for the rest of her life.
- •2. Make every man you know read the victim's powerful, poignant, raw letter to her rapist.
- •Ensure that they grasp the importance of consent and the ramifications of a trauma that affects 1 in 5 women.
- •Because, as women, this tragedy is yet another cautionary tale; another nod to the warning that already sits - staunchly, endlessly - in the attic of our minds: "You are not safe."
- •It begins the first time we are catcalled.
- •The time we realize it's getting late so we shouldn't walk to the store alone.
- •The time we are taught to always guard our drinks.
- •The time we are told that boy on the playground is just being mean because he likes us.
- •The time our outfits are policed in order to not "distract the boys" or suggest "we're asking for it."
- •The time a stranger demands we smile.
- •The time we want to express discomfort in how a man is treating us but decide against it... because, you know, we're probably just being too sensitive.
- •We learned all this young.
- •3. Share Brock Turner's mugshot - not his yearbook photo, as he grins in a suit and tie, the portrait of an ever-so-promising Division 1 athlete.
- •No, the one that serves as a reminder that this is a man who viciously raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and claims "she liked it." Let this have a severe impact.
- •4. And finally, when someone tells you they have been assaulted in any shape or form, believe them. Every time.